What to look for in 2013!
Starting a new year is always exciting to me. I don’t make resolutions necessarily, but I try to find ways in the new year to be better, both in my life and in my home. We can all maybe take a few nods in the next year from the home trends that are showing up and incorporate them into our existing décor to give it new life!
- “Lively, radiant, lush – a color of elegance and beauty that enhances our sense of well-being, balance and harmony.” This is the description that Pantone has given the color of the year for 2013 – Emerald Green. You will see this color showing up everywhere from home décor to fashion and it’s bold tone can be easily paired with muted neutrals as well as striking shades of blue, yellow and red.
- Fabrics and furniture will provide patterns of animal, floral and stripes – oh my! The animal theme will not necessarily be leopard and zebra prints, but images of elephants and dogs. The same trend will show up in home furnishing accessories. Floral patterns will be of a more modern flair and have a painterly look. Scandinavian influenced posies will also be common. Stripes will be a great opportunity to mix bold pattern in with solids and textures. Chevron will still be hot for all elements of décor.
- Wallpaper is back and the large scale patterns are most popular. These bold statements will work best when paired with simple fabrics. If you can’t commit to the wallpaper maybe consider using the large patterns in your fabrics on pillows and draperies.
- The metro style is still evident in home design. Clean lines, industrial details and that boutique hotel vibe can be found in most furniture showrooms. Rich, organic textures on upholstery and distressed finishes are also still popular.
- If purchasing new furniture is not on the list of things to do this year, you may want to consider giving new life to old pieces. Painting wood furniture with bold shades of green and blue can give an instant lift to a drab room. The paint “dipped” look is also a fun way to dress up dining chairs and barstools. Updating your rugs is also a great way to change the look of the room without investing in all new pieces!
Cheek Interiors is available for design consultations should you need help deciding what direction to take. We can work with what you have and also assist you with “making a plan” of how to update your space. Sometimes just a new paint color and fresh accessories can make the biggest difference. Our workrooms are also available to create custom designs for windows, pillows and bedding.
We hope 2013 will find you and your family happy and healthy! Try something new and let’s create some beautiful rooms!